Friday, August 29, 2008

The Sweet Scent of Food

Friday night again.

A little hard to enjoy the once festive eve when one's poor and struggling.

Some good news snapped a little life into my now weak body...

I got a call from an agency of sorts looking for a teacher.
Oddly some time back and long since forgotten, an advertisement went up on the "Wonderful Worldly Window" indicating that I had taught IELTS previously.

IELTS is an English Language Testing System.

So this agent calls me wildly out of the blue and asked me if I were busy now and would I be interested in a job.

Well of course I am FUDGING interested.

Off the beaten track....
Some months back I had a very well paying manager's job managing teachers at an exclusive private language institution.
The local government came in to bust the place indicating that it wasn't properly licensed.
I of course knew that the licensing was in the final stages and wasn't overly concerned about it.
However at the moment that the coppers had arrived the boss did a runner and had left me high and dry with these coppers to deal with.

So what was I to do?
With a big inhale and a twenty minute screaming exhale I cut loose on these guys for annoying me, disrupting the school, and all sorts of other lovelies that I could conjure up.

Much to my misfortune though the coppers after quieting me down told me that the school had reneged on getting its license and has been considered to be blatantly breaking the law.

"Oh shit....."

The coppers let me leave the building red faced as I was, and they told me not to work for this company again.

I was heavily relieved as I could have been deported.

That runaway boss knowing that I had a very good story to share with the somewhat small foreign community of this town, went about blacklisting me with damn near every school within a hundred miles of the place.

Another unfortunate event that was as I was near the end of my contract when it all happened and my NiHao Studios company was near ready to launch.

Ok so no job, and no resources either.

4 months later...
Starved, unwell, desperate, and alone in a foreign land, and that wildly odd phone call arrives.

Now we are back on track again....

I had taught IELTS for many years in another town and managed an IELTS Center so of course I had breezed through the job interview and had determined my own pay.
After which the girl boss said...."Do you need extra money for food?"
She had meant a monthly living allowance.
Inside myself I screamed; "Don't say that sinful word in front of me...I am starving!"
But I replied..."No I shouldn't need extra money for food thank you."

September 5th (7 days later) I start work.

Wow...I may just live through this; another episode of my life.

Recently I had been having bad dreams about being sent home in a box.
What's worse is that I started to believe that it may just happen.
Well maybe not now, but if my mother saw me in this situation she would freak.

hahaha ooops sorry mum. I forgot to look after myself.

Oh well another poor Friday passes.
That sweet scent of food draws nearer and I can almost imagine eating something substantial again.
Poor? Yes, but not for much longer :)

No comments: